Top 5 Benefits of Vitamin C for Optimal Skin Health
Vitamin C is a potent water soluble and important naturally occurring anti-oxidant that is vital for skin health and ageing gracefully. It is available in natural food sources like oranges, lemons, strawberries, mangoes, broccoli, chilli peppers, bell peppers, etc. Unfortunately, a very small amount of ingested Vit C is available to the skin after absorption and metabolism.
Thus topical formulations are much better in efficaciously reaching the skin and exerting a beneficial action on the skin. Vit C preparations for the skin come in various shapes and forms including serums, creams, etc.
Benefits of Vitamin C for Skin Health
- Anti-oxidant effects: Vitamin C is a potent anti-oxidant that protects the skin by neutralizing the free radicals generated from oxidative stress e.g. exposure to UV rays, pollution, etc.
- Anti-aging effects: Vitamin C stimulates new collagen synthesis and inhibits collagen degradation resulting a net gain of collagen. More new collagen means less wrinkles and improved skin texture.
- Anti-pigmentary effects: Vitamin C decreases the formation of melanin pigment resulting in less age spots, freckles, improved melasma, etc.
- Photo-protective effects: Vitamin C protects the skin from the harmful effects of UV light by scavenging the oxygen free radicals and preventing cellular degradation and breakdown. It reduces UVB induced erythema or redness and sunburn cell formation significantly.
- Wound Healing effects: Vitamin C via it’s anti-oxidant and pro-collagen effects can help speed up wound healing and promote healthy skin growth.
Topical Vitamin C with it’s potent anti-oxidant, pro-collagen and skin lightening effects remains a vital tool in day to day skin maintenance. This is a must have skin care ingredient for everyone that takes their skin health seriously.
Here’s to brighter and tighter skin in 2018 and beyond.
Call us on (778) 760-5050 today to book your customized skin care consultation and say hello to healthy skin. You deserve it.
Praven Chetty, MD, CCFP, DPD, DAAAM
Medical Director @ Cerulean Medical Institute, Kelowna, BC.