Top 10 Acne Treatment Tips
Acne is one of the commonest skin disorders treated at our Kelowna skin care clinic. Acne is commonly seen in teenagers and less frequently in adults. Acne is an inflammatory disorder affecting the oil producing or sebaceous glands of our skin. Inflammation presents in the form of papules, pustules, nodules, cysts and scars. Fortunately customized acne treatments are available through our skin care specialists at Cerulean Medical Institute. The acne treatment tips below will help to decrease the severity of your acne as well as decrease your risk of developing acne scars.
Acne when treated early can result in less physical and psychological distress. The key is to slow down inflammation and prevent the dreaded acne scar or scars.
Tips & Tools for Treating Acne:
- Cleanse the affected skin twice daily and importantly after times of increased perspiration to prevent the oil glands from being plugged
- Shampoo your hair every second day especially if you are prone to oily hair
- Wash gently and refrain from aggressively scrubbing or over exfoliating, which will actually worsen acne
- Use an appropriate medical grade alcohol free toner to help create a favourable environment to speed up healing
- Do not pick, squeeze or pop as tempting as this might feel. Remember we do not want any acne scars
- Apply an oil free moisturizer twice a day
- Use physical sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 to prevent darkening of inflammatory acne spots
- If necessary, use oil free non-comedogenic makeup lightly. Remember to keep you makeup brushes clean
- Ensure bedding, clothes and sporting equipment are washed regularly
- Avoid foods with a high glycemic index and exercise regularly
Various over the counter acne treatment remedies are available in the form of salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv, etc. If your acne is still persisting after a 4 week trial of trying these acne treatment tips then feel free to enlist the help of one of our skin care specialists where thorough assessment and a customized acne treatment plan will be formulated to best suit your needs.
Acne treatments at our state of the art skin care clinic include chemical peels, lasers, IPL, medical grade cosmeceuticals, microneedling, dermal fillers, etc. There a numerous innovative scar treatments now available but it is always imperative to prevent scars.
Call us on (778) 760-5050 today to book your customized acne treatment and say hello to healthy flawless skin.
Praven Chetty, MD, CCFP, DPD, DAAAM
Medical Director @ Cerulean Medical Institute, Kelowna, BC.