Best Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Kelowna, BC
Acne scars are a common consequence of acne. Scars from acne correlates with reduced self esteem, decreased function at work or school and socialization. Acne scarring can either be depressed (atrophic) or raised, hyperpigmented or hyopopigmented, and can affect many areas of the face and body. Acne scar treatments work safely and effectively to reduce the scarring from acne resulting in a more even skin tone and texture.
There are various types of acne scars from ice-pick to rolling acne scars, and boxcar to hypertrophic or keloid acne acne scars. The choice of acne scar treatment and effective treatment thereof depends upon the correct diagnosis of the type of acne scar. There are various types of advanced acne scar removal treatments available at our Kelowna skin care clinic.
Best Acne Scar Treatments:
- Microneedling or medical “needling”with collagen induction therapy is a great treatment option for reducing depressed acne scars. New collagen formation results in improvement of texture and less noticeable acne scars.
- Chemical peels in the form of alpha and beta hydroxy acids are fantastic treatment option for hyperpigmented acne scars and ice-pick scars. The added benefit of chemical peels are improved collagen and elastin synthesis which improves the overall glow of the skin.
- Skin or tissue fillers work by reducing and instantly plumping out depressed acne scars and stimulating new collagen.
- Subcision is used to gently break out unwanted tethered fibrous bands seen in rolling acne scars, making for a less noticeable scar.
- Skin tightening with radiofrequency helps by tightening the skin and promoting new collagen formation resulting in reduced scars and smoother tighter skin. The added benefit of radiofrequency skin tightening is that it is safe on all skin types.
- IPL or Intense Pulsed Light therapy can help treat the inflammation and redness associated with acne and acne scars.
- Laser skin resurfacing treatments in the form of semi-ablative or ablative lasers are ideal for mildly depressed acne scars and are associated with significant downtime.
- Corticosteroid injections are best for treating and reducing hypertrophic or raised acne scars.
- Medical grade Vitamin C is a powerful and potent anti-oxidant that helps to lighten hyperpigmented or darkened acne scars.
- Physical sunscreen used every two to four hours when exposed to UV light helps reduce post inflammatory hyperpigmentation scars from acne.
Prevention of acne scars is key. It is imperative to stop new acne from forming with appropriate acne treatment. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoid picking and popping acne are some of the important measures to prevent the dreaded acne scar.
At Cerulean Medical Institute we specialize in delivering natural looking healthy skin. Call us on (778) 760-5050 today to book your acne scar treatment and say hello to healthier glowing skin.
Praven Chetty, MD, CCFP, DPD, DAAAM
Medical Director @ Cerulean Medical Institute, Kelowna, BC.